Friday, June 14, 2024

TK/TK-004 Paglia Orba - 10 points, partially climbed, failed activation, 10th June 2024

 A long and challenging climb but worth 10 points if you can manage it!

This was my first attempted SOTA activation on Corsica and I rather overstretched myself.  I got very close, marked X on the map, but exhaustion and limited water supply forced me to turn back.  Hopefully these pictures and tips will help others succeed!

The suggested route came from Adrian MM0DHY who had succeeded in 2012.  I parked at Col de Vergio as shown on the map (picture below) and proceeded to the Refuge Ciuttulu Di I Mori, marked R.


 

The route starts decending through woodland but soon ascends parallel to a stream,  This is part of the GR20 major hiking route across the island.  I saw plenty of other hikers in small and large groups looking like they were camping along the trail.



The section beyond he Refuge is steep and the right turn that I took (red path) comprised loose rock and scree which I struggled to make progress on.  This final section was exhausting and so I decided to turn back... so near and yet so far!

My next activation attempt was more successful, a much easier 4 pointer TK-048 Punta Muro.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SOTA summit TK-008 Monte Renoso 13th June 2024 8 points

 A high summit with changeable weather, but achievable with the right route! This activation followed an aborted attempt 2 days earlier.  I ...