Monday, January 10, 2022

Thursday 18th November 2021: TF-006 Colorados de Chinoia

Challenging summit worth 10 SOTA points, but a failed activation.

This is a brief account of my (failed) SOTA activation of this summit, with a few tips that may help aspiring activators!

There is a good car park and information centre near the junction of TF-38 and TF-21.  I followed the low path that runs parallel with the TF-38 over a fascinating range of terrains, through volcanic rock and scrubland.



After about 1.5 km the summit rises to the left of this path.  I climbed up through partially burned trees over loose ground - the climb is fairly hard going with no clear path to the top.  I got fairly close to the summit and access is certainly possible, but the mist was becoming thicker and I decided it was wise to make my way back downhill.

 

This was my second climb of the day - when I return I will make this the first one when energy levels and natural light are higher!

Next activation: TF-014 Roque de Jama

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

GM/ES-038, Creagan a'Chaise - 722m, 4 points | 19th April 2024

  Pleasant walk to a windy summit with plenty of activation space  There are walks documented to this summit from Cromdale but I chose the s...