Thursday, April 18, 2024

EA7/MA-006, La Torca - 1502m, 8 points

 A challenging walk to an extremely windy summit

From the A-341 I took the track opposite the quarry to find a parking spot just through a wire fence.

Following the path from the open topo map was difficult and I frequently ended up scrambling over rocks to keep walking upwards.  The ground became increasingly icy and once at the summit the wind was extremely strong and cold.  I was encouraged by the additionl 3-point winter bonus that a February activation would earn me, and certainly felt that I had earned it!

The summit has a trig point but I did not attempt to attach my sotapole due to the wind. 


 

Fortunately there is a large area suitable for activation just below the trig point which provided some shelter from the wind.  I attached my bandhopper antenna from a high point near the trig marker, spanning the activation area and pegged at the ground, so set up as a sloping dipole.

I made 19 SSB QSOs on 20m.

Next activation MA-053

No comments:

Post a Comment

GM/ES-038, Creagan a'Chaise - 722m, 4 points | 19th April 2024

  Pleasant walk to a windy summit with plenty of activation space  There are walks documented to this summit from Cromdale but I chose the s...